Thursday, March 12, 2009

BAM!

Yesterday my mother and I drove to Newark and took the PATH to Ground Zero and the Subway to the Brooklyn Art Museum.
It's quite an impressive building.

A tree grows in Brooklyn.

The museum is quite big - we chose to focus on European art and a quick run through ancient Egyptian art. I'm still a bit like a little kid in museums. Too much standing and walking slowly makes my body hurt and then it just isn't fun anymore.

The European art from various centuries was grouped into four sections addressing four themes so you could see how styles developed over the years. The themes were (in my own words) land and sea, portraits, religious, and pictures that tell stories.

I took pictures of some of my favorites. I was surprised how well they turned out without a flash.

This is a famous one by Monet, but I forget the name, of course. If I understood the description correctly, he painted this scene 19 times with different light conditions each time.

I just really liked this one. I can't even remember who painted it.

The displays of ancient Egyptian art were incredible - some of the artifacts were about 5000 years old. These pieces were from the time the Israelites were in Egypt. The round thing with a handle is a bronze mirror. This must be the kind of thing Moses melted down to make the bronze basin for the tabernacle.

This is actually a coffin of an ibis - not just a statue of an ibis. The back of the bird slides out to to put the body of the dead bird inside. It made me think of this. There's nothing new under the sun.

No comments: