Monday, January 7, 2008

Sniglets

Knowing that I like words, my friend Danielle recently gave me a book of sniglets - words that don't appear in the dictionary but should. Some of the words are obscure, to say the least - anyone have any idea what premblememblemation should mean? Others fit well with their definitions. I think the definitions are most amusing - they often target some of the ridiculous things in life that most anyone can relate to. Here are some that I found particularly good.

anaception - the body's ability to actually affect television reception by moving about the room. (I'm much more familiar with this than I wish.)
aqualibrium - the point where the stream of drinking fountain water is at its perfect height, this relieving the drinker from (a) having to suck the nozzle, or (b) squirting himself in the eye.
brattled - the unsettling feeling at stoplight, that the busload of kids that just pulled up beside you is making fun of you.
carperpetuation - the act, when vacuuming, of running over a string or a piece of lint at least a dozen times, reaching over and picking it up, examining it, then putting it back down to give the vacuum one more chance.
flopcorn - the unpopped kernels at the bottom of the cooker.
frust - the small line of debris that refuses to be swept onto the dust pan and keeps backing a person across the room until he finally decides to give up and sweep it under the rug.
memnants - the chipped or broken m&ms at the bottom of the bag.
sloopage - the tendency of hot dogs, hamburgers, and sandich contents to slip between their covers.
telecrastination - the act of always letting the phone ring at lest twice before you pick it up, even when you're only six inches away.
twinch - the movement a dog makes with its head when it hears a high-pitched noise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha... those are great. I love the water fountain one and vacuuming one especially.

Anonymous said...

yes, those were excellent.
and anaception does draw a few too many memories.