"Scattered wits take a long time picking up; and often, before I had got them well together, they would be dispersed in all directions by one stray thought."
Friday, January 18, 2008
Bergen County's Castle
There are actually two castles within twenty minutes of my home in NJ. Will anything surprise me any more?! This one was built by a robber baron too, I think. He was a lover of art, so inside the castle is an art collection. You can enjoy them - for a small fee.
The castle, as you can see in the picture below, has a glass roof. The robber baron had the tower built so guards could keep watch and stop ruffians from throwing rocks and breaking the glass. Perhaps it actually happened, or perhaps he was paranoid. Seems to me you'd have to have a pretty good arm to hit a window.
This is Paterson, NJ. Quite impressive, but frankly I like the view from Kip's Castle better. This view reminds me of when King Nebuchadnezzar views Babylon and glories in all he has built "by his mighty power" and "for the glory of his majesty." This is probably tremendously unfair of me, but it did cross my mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's cool; I didn't know there were castles like these in NJ. I also found the Nebuchadnezzar comment rather amusing.
Post a Comment