I think there is an expression about a screw in a system. Or perhaps I have a few screws loose. My wit's diseased. Or at least scattered. Hee hee.
Count the allusions in that last paragraph and report back.
I'm in an odd mood.
Anyway, I am the screw in the Wheaton College system. When I registered for classes I noticed at the bottom of the page that it said "Carol Miner, Wheaton Conservatory of Music, Undeclared: Music Education". Therein lies a problem. Though I applied belated to the Conservatory I was never accepted. Last spring I declared my self undeclared: music BA (do you wonder why I'm confused?!!) During the summer I sent in my audition; during orientation Dr. Horn said he had seen my audition and had chosen to evaluate me after a semester before deciding if I could be admitted to the conservatory; a day or two later I realized I would never want to be in the conservatory and told my adviser and piano teacher so.
Anyway, I went to the conservatory office after my lesson today to ask about this because it affects recital concert attendance requirements, and potentially jury requirements too, I imagine. Thirty minutes later I left the office. The conservatory has never had to deal with such a nutty case. I confuse myself.
I had a teacher in high school who said university officials were the most infuriating bureaucrats. I can imagine that this could be the case. But thank God for Susan Brinkman, a conservatory secretary, who is a beacon of all things good. "You can practically hear the milk of human kindness sloshing around in her."
I'm thankful to have had this time in the conservatory, as a BME or BA or minor or whatever I am or have been or will be. Most Wheaton students don't get to know conservies. I don't want to be one myself, but I'm glad to know many of them. They are (for the most part) talented, interesting, kind, odd people. (conservatory humor amuses me. Do you know anyone who jokes about parallel octaves or the "new melodic concept"?)
I should get cracking on my dictation assignment. But I'm not a conservie. At least, I never thought I was. . .
2 comments:
that was decidedly confusing.
i'd like to write you a little dylan song. It goes like this: "How does it feel? to be a rolling screw...a complete unknown...no direction home..." (and so forth)
a monkey wrench in the works. that's the expression. my mind is weird.
Post a Comment