Saturday, November 17, 2007

A few good quotes, I think

I recently read Great Expectations for the first time for my British Literature class. Dickens has a way of writing with a touch of humor that saves a dark subject matter from being overwhelmingly depressing. Here are some excerpts that amused me.

I pointed to where our village lay . . . a mile or more from the church. The man, after looking at me for a moment, turned me upside-down. . . When the church came to itself - for he was so sudden and strong that he made it go head over heels before me, and I saw the steeple under my feet - when the church came to itself, I saw, I was seated on a high tombstone.

My sister, Mrs. Joe, . . . concluded by throwing me - I often served her as a connubial missile - at Joe.

All of in a moment some confounding remembrance of the Havisham days would fall upon me, like a destructive missile, and scatter my wits again. Scattered wits take a long time picking up; and often, before I had got them well together, they would be dispersed in all directions by one stray thought.

He had glittering eyes - small, keen, and black - and thin wide mottled lips. He had had them, to the best of my belief, from forty to fifty years.

Let me introduce the topic, Handel, by mentioning that in London it is not the custom to put the knife in the mouth - for fear of accidents - and that while the fork is reserved for that use, it is not put further in than is necessary. It is scarcely worth mentioning, only it's as well to do as other people do.

Unless I deceive myself on a point where my interests or prepossessions are certainly not concerned, I saw that Mr. and Mrs. Pocket's children were not growing up or being brought up, but were tumbling up.


I also loved the parts that talked about Mr. Wemmick's father, referred to as the Aged Parent, or simply the Aged. It made me think affectionately of my own "APs".

9 comments:

Carol said...

I'm thinking about renaming my blog "Scattered Wits". What do you think?

Carol said...

or maybe "Stray Thoughts". Which is better?

Unknown said...

Good bye friend? Now, can I say that one is creepy? And if you do "Stray Thoughts," you could work in your dog-loving nature. But "Scattered Wits" is still really good.

Carol said...

That is a creepy problem. I've deleted it, but how do I add that word thingie that keeps anybody but real people from commenting?

I'm leaning towards scattered wits.

Anonymous said...

My brother and I have been calling my parents the "Aged Ps" since I first read Great Expectations in eighth grade. It's a family tradition now, I guess.

I miss you, Carol. Come back soon, ok?

Anonymous said...

Hey Carol!
Now I know how to comment. Thanks!

Danielle said...

I like "Ramblings," but suit yourself!

I don't like the second half of that knife and fork quote... it says that forks are scarcely worth mentioning. I'm offended. Ugh. The fork is a brilliant utensil. =)

Carol said...

You confuse me, Danielle. Do I misunderstand your "tongue-in-cheek" remark or did you misunderstand the quote? Context helps. The speaker says it's "scarce worth mentioning" Pip's (Handel's) appalling manners, only to save his dignity. The scene is quite hilarious. I recommend the book.
thanks for reading and commenting!

Danielle said...

I guess since I didn't read the quote in context, I thought he was dissing forks rather than someone's manners... oh well.