Thursday, November 29, 2007

An Excursion

Shortly before I left, on Sunday afternoon, Mary, Mother, and I visited Kip's Castle in Verona. I didn't even know a castle, of sorts, existed so close to my home. It was built by an eccentric robber baron by the name of Kip. I think it was in private ownership until recently, but now it's open to the public. The grounds are just beautiful.

It was a gorgeous afternoon. I'm so glad that autumn hung around so long for me to see some beautiful colors. The prettiest foliage was mostly gone by Sunday, but I saw some stunning reds and golds. There were some beautiful trees here in Wheaton, but I didn't realize until I came back to New Jersey how much I missed the sight of a whole hillside aflame with color. Illinois is flat. There is no hillside, just flatness.





On a clear day you can see the NYC skyline. You can just barely make out lower Manhattan here.

I love the way the light shining on the trees makes the leaves so bright.

No comments: