Monday, June 25, 2007

San Francisco

Here are some memories of the senior class trip, with no particular regard for a logical flow of thought. It is summer vacation after all.

We stayed in a hotel in Pacifica, just out of San Francisco, on the ocean. I woke up early one day to scramble over the hillside to enjoy the fresh air, the sound of the breakers, and the smell of the salt water. There were wildflowers and snails. It was very lovely. I wish I had pictures of the view.

A couple of the guys actually dove into the frigid Pacific Ocean and out again very quickly - just to say they did it, I guess. Before we left, Dan and Andrew brought Chris down to the sandy beach t0o.

Each day we would stop to buy snacks and fresh fruit for breakfast at the nearest grocery store. I took care of our chocolate needs. Mr. Prol, our principal, would run off to the health food store to buy his favorite drink - some kind of elixir of youth, I think. There were swigs all around. We shared a lot of food the whole trip.


The first night we ate at a nice Mexican restaurant. We were all pretty exhausted from the flight, but Andrew and I at least were relieved to have just heard the news that the yearbook was sent to the printer that afternoon in New Jersey.

We enjoyed another good meal at Joe's Crab Shack. The San Francisco weather was chillier than I expected, so I enjoyed their hot seafood chowders.


One unfortunate San Francisco attraction is a tourist trap called Pier
39. It's full of t-shirt shops and places to buy postcards and shot glasses. It's redeeming feature are dozens and dozens of sea lions. They are noisy and smelly, but very entertaining to watch. They're so fat they can hardly move on the docks, but once they are in the water they're positively graceful.

We spent a long time waiting in line for a cable car ride. Mr. Prol entertained us by singing songs that he remembered from his youth. I had "Tell Laura I love Her" stuck in my head almost every day. The cable car ride was worth the wait. We saw a lot of the city, from the top of very steep streets. It was pretty thrilling to stand and lean out the side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we ate at that same Mexican restaurant. I also enjoyed the cable car ride, too. Those steep streets are so cool... it was neat to see the streets they ride up in various CA races and to be able to ride up one of them at the end of our bike trip. I loved San Francisco.