Monday, June 11, 2007

Reading

Here's what I read in school this year:

For Western Thought:
Sophie's World - Jostein Gaarder
What Does It All Mean? A Very Short Introduction to Philosophy - Thomas Nagel

For Great Books II:
Henry IV Parts 1 and 2 - William Shakespeare
Hamlet - William Shakespeare
The Tempest - William Shakespeare
Paradise Lost (books I-IV, IX, X, and excerpts) - John Milton
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
The Death of Ivan Ilych - Leo Tolstoy
Hard Times - Charles Dickens
Moby Dick (most of it) - Herman Melville
Twice Told Tales (selections) - Nathaniel Hawthorne
Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
1984 - George Orwell
Till We Have Faces - C.S. Lewis

4 comments:

kate said...

ooh, The Tempest may be my favorite.

How did you like Sophie's World? I can't decide if I really want to attempt it. I wanted to just read part of it, but that wasn't really working because obviously there is a bigger plot going on.

in my last year of high school i also read: Pride and P., Hamlet, Paradise Lost, Frankenseign, Heart of D, and, that's it from you list. Maybe the Death of II too.

Carol said...

I really enjoyed Sophie's World. Fascinating plot and interesting stuff about important philosophers but not tough reading. I do recommend it.

Ken said...

I liked "Hard Times." It was my favorite book by Dickens. I only read about 5 pages of another of his books... didn't like those pages as well.

CP said...

WOw, that's a lot- wish I could get my kids to read that much!! Wish I had time to read that much!!