Sunday, June 3, 2007

Airports and such

I know I love visiting different places, but I can't quite decide what I think about the getting there. Airplanes are noisy and cramped, but I think airports are kind of neat. I could spend hours just "people watching."

One of the best locations for "people watching" this trip (I feel like I'm writing a guide book!) was in front of the elevator next to the airport car rental area. There was a constant stream of people. When the elevator arrived for one group, another group came to wait for a few minutes. It was fascinating.

On a different note, what's the etiquette concerning whether you talk to the other people in your row in the airplane? Part of me thinks people are interesting and it's fun to hear what their life is like. The other part of me thinks books are interesting too, and since I'm never going to see that person again I'd rather read. And then there's the question of whether they want to talk. And the question of how to get them to talk. It's pretty complex.

These deep thoughts were stimulated by my flight to New Jersey when I sat in a row of very friendly, open people but didn't realize it until it was mostly too late. So I didn't get to know the international student from Norway or the woman who once taught on a tiny island off Papua New Guinea. But other people did.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Here is the etiquette: if you're from the NY/NJ area, you sit there like a clam and glare at the people in your row if they try to talk to you... if you're from down south (i.e. Texas or North Carolina) you carry on an in-depth, friendly conversation with complete strangers as if you've known them their whole lives. Just kidding, but it is an interesting question...