Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Skyline

Yesterday evening I took my sister's road bike out for a spin. New Jersey isn't quite as flat as Illinois.

I biked up to South Mountain Avenue, my old stomping grounds for long walks with puppies, past Bloomfield Avenue and the Van Vleck Gardens and up to Upper Mountain Avenue for a little ways. Every once in a while, in between the houses and trees, I would catch a glimpse of NYC that almost made me catch my breath. It was beautifully clear, except for a few patches of pretty gray clouds to the right. Unfortunately, by the time I got back and we had supper and drove up to the Eagle Rock Avenue lookout, it had clouded up a little bit.

Here's midtown:


Every time I see the NYC skyline, I think of what I remember an NPR reporter saying a few days after September 11th. He lived in the city and his little daughter had a clear view of the twin towers from her bedroom window. After 9/11, she looked out the window and said that it was as if New York's two front teeth were missing. I can't think of a more apt metaphor.

After September 11, the lookout turned into a shrine as people left flowers and candles and notes all along the wall. Now there is a memorial with the name of each person whose life was lost engraved in stone.

No comments: