Thursday, August 27, 2009

Academic tremors

As part of my wonderful liberal arts education here a Wheaton College that will transform me into a whole and effective Christian person, I am taking a 2 credit science class called Natural Disasters.

I took a risk and bought the textbook from half.com for six cents, plus shipping.
Moment of Reckoning:


The book is in nearly pristine condition. There is nary a highlight nor an underlining. I consider it six cents will invested, and I am wondering how much I can earn by selling it back to the Wheaton bookstore.


I've even already gotten a few laughs from it. Here is the outline of chapter one which is 18 pages long complete with pictures and full page graphs.

Outline
  • Natural Disasters in 2004 and 2005
  • Pakistan Earthquake, 8 October 2005
  • Hurricane Katrina, 29 August 2005
  • Great Natural Disasters
  • Human Fatalities in Natural Disasters
  • Economic Losses from Natural Disasters
  • Natural Hazards
  • Overview of Human Population History
  • The Power of an Exponent on Growth
  • The Last 10,000 Years of Human History
  • The Human Population Today
  • Future World Population

If one portion of chapter one of my Natural Disasters textbook can inform me about the last 10,000 years of human history why am I taking a four credit World History class this semester too? In fact, my reading in my history textbook today brought me this choice quote: "What paltry learning is that which is congealed in dumb books!"

Why am I at Wheaton College at all?!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hmm! Is Natural Disasters an upper level science? I still have to take my last 2 credits...

Anonymous said...

Why? Perhaps at least to refine the art of asking questions.