Dear Family and Friends, April 2008
For the past three summers, I have had the joy and privilege of traveling to Reynosa, Mexico to serve with Isaiah 55 Deaf Ministries. Last summer, John Clow, a missionary who leads the construction teams, invited me to join them as summer staff this year, from May 26 to August 2. I am so excited for this opportunity to serve with Isaiah 55. As a summer staffer, I will be serving Christ by serving others, namely the Mexican people and the volunteers who come down each week. Among other things, I expect to be helping in the dorm or kitchen, working on the construction site, and visiting a local orphanage.
In Reynosa, there is no special education for deaf students. Deaf children are integrated into the public schools, confused and unable to communicate effectively. Some deaf children will grow up not even knowing they have a name. The mission of Isaiah 55 is to share the gospel
with these children and their families through teaching them Mexican Sign Language. Isaiah 55 Deaf Ministries came to Reynosa in January 2005. The Lord is blessing their ministry there. At the beginning of this year, there were fifteen students learning at the deaf school.
Isaiah 55 has an excellent relationship with the local government and is reaching out to the community in other ways. Each summer, teams from churches come down from the States to lead Vacation Bible School and work on various construction projects, for the community and the deaf school. So far this year, there are four work sites – the deaf school, a local orphanage, a hospital, and a home for women escaping from prostitution.
In this past year, I’ve met a couple deaf Christians. I’m so impressed with their love for Christ, their desire to serve Him, and their ability to communicate through sign language. It’s my desire to see the Lord transform the lives of the deaf children in Reynosa in the same way. But I know that I need partners with me in this ministry – both prayer and financial supports. Please pray for:
• A continued desire to serve, willingness to be stretched, and effectiveness in my work
• Health and safety on the construction site
• Good fellowship and unity among the summer staffers and volunteers
• Spiritual growth for all involved
• Steady progress on the construction sites
• And, above all, that the Word sown in the lives of the children will bear fruit.
My goal is to raise $3250. If you feel led to support me financially, please mail a check to:
Mission to the World, PO Box 116284, Atlanta, George 30368-6284 with my name and support account number (14571) on the memo line.
In Christ,
Carol Miner
Check out the Isaiah 55 website, blog, and the Clow's blog for more information and pictures!

1 comment:
Oh, Carol! That's so exciting! I'll be praying that you can raise funds to go!!
Post a Comment