Tuesday, April 8, 2008

"A Hyphen War" or "I just like the sound of the word"

I'm doing my research paper on the fall of Communism in Czechoslovakia, the difficulties that led to Velvet Divorce in which Czechoslovakia split into Czech Republic and Slovakia, and some of the implications of that split. I have to take a break from writing to share something fascinating and entertaining that I learned.

Before the Velvet Divorce, one of the causes of frustration between the Czechs and Slovaks was what to call their new free country. President Havel wished for the simple "Czechoslovak Republic", but Slovakians were angered at being so relatively "invisible". They wished to hyphen in the country's name. The Federal Assembly reached a bizarre compromise. In Czech lands the country was to be called "Czechoslovak Republic", in Slovak lands "Czech-Slovak Republic". This decision was greeted with howls of protest from Bratislava, and the final decision was to call the country "Czech and Slovak Federated Republic". I quote, "the first battle in what would later be called 'the hyphen war' had been concluded."

But this is what made me laugh out loud: Some Slovaks were displeased because they would rather have the country called "Slovakoczechia". I may be insensitive, but this strikes me as funny.

Kate, do you recognize that C&H reference in the title?

4 comments:

kate said...

smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock smock

actually, i just like the sound of the word.

Carol said...

Oh Kate! How I do love you! Let me count the ways. . .

kate said...

i'm waiting...


(but i know it will be a long time before you're done.)

Carol said...

har har. This might not be the right medium for such declarations of sisterly devotion.

and regarding your earlier comment, "What on earth is wrong with you?!"