Saturday, January 13, 2007

Funny quotes from Moby Dick

This book makes me laugh a lot. I didn't really expect to enjoy it so much so I've been very pleasantly surprised. May the next 112 chapters be as good as the first 23!

Queequeg was George Washington cannibalistically developed.

. . . and so saying I was unmethodically rushing up stairs again empty-handed. . .

there, Betty, go to Snarles the Painter, and tell him to paint me a sign, with --"no suicides permitted here, and no smoking in the parlor";-- might as well kill both birds at once.

'He says he's our man, Bildad,' said Peleg, 'he wants to ship.' 'Dost thee?' said Bildad, in a hollow tone, and turning round to me. 'I dost,' said I unconsciously, he was so intense a Quaker.

It makes a stranger stare.

It is well known that at the coronation of kings and queens, even modern ones, a certain curious process of seasoning them for their functions is gone through. . . Certain I am, however, that a king's head is most solemnly oiled at his coronation, even as a head of salad. Can it be, though, that they anoint it with a view of making its interior run well, as they anoint machinery? Much might be ruminated here, concerning the essential dignity of this regal process, because in common life we esteem but meanly and contemptibly a fellow who anoints his hair, and palpably smells of that anointing. In truth, a mature man who uses hair oil, unless medicinally, that man has probably got a quoggy spot in him somewhere. As a general rule, he can't amount to much in his totality.

For Dough Boy, life was one continual lip-quiver.

3 comments:

Carol said...

Would someone teach me how to get rid of block quotes when you're done using them? I wanted to write something a little after the quotes but couldn't get the blocking to go away.

kate said...

hmmm, so melvin doesn't approve of hair products...no Dapper Dan for him.

Can't explain the blockquotes here because I have to use HTML tags that the comment writer will not let me use.

Carol said...

That's right. He won't take no palm-oil and he's not a Dapper Dan man!