Friday, May 8, 2009

Youthful

A conversation in the Chicago airport after borrowing a cell phone to tell my parents that my flight was delayed at least two hours:

"Do you mind my asking how old you are?"

"Twenty. I'm going home after my sophomore year of college."

"Oh, because you look about my daughter's age, and she's fourteen. I was wondering, 'Is this girl old enough to fly alone?'"

"Oh, really? Haha."

"It's a good thing - you'll appreciate it some day."

"So I've heard."

If I had a buck for every time I've had this conversation, I think I could fly back to Chicago on the dividends.

Note to self: when flying, take out the hair ribbon and wear make-up.

6 comments:

David said...

My morbid curiosity is at what age you'll start appreciating it.

Carol said...

I've been wondering the same thing for the last six or seven years.

thezubas said...

:) We'll see you on Monday!!

CP said...

I'm gonna go with around 30. :) I should note that when she was maybe 24, Kate got asked at the mall if she was 16 or 18.

Emily said...

My mentor sympathizes with you:

http://mary-babieseverywhere.blogspot.com/2008/09/not-quite-there-yet.html

kate said...

i like your sarcastic "ha ha...so i've heard"


i'm 26 and i still don't appreciate it.

i think cp had the safe bet.