A week or so ago, I attended College Church's Missionary Prayer Salad Fellowship Dinner. Afterwards, I was hovering around the table that was being cleared of half-finished salads and overheard a woman say to no one in particular:
"Well, nobody died."
Indeed. The mark of a successful meeting. Nobody died.
I burst out laughing.
Apparently, I learned later, the context was that some people had brought salads with nuts overlooking the prohibition against them, and the ladies in charge had been very concerned that those salads be kept separate and marked accordingly to protect those with dangerous nut allergies.
Nevertheless, I think we should make a habit of concluding various meetings and sessions with those comforting words: "Well, nobody died."
If I had heard those words on Wheaton's campus, I would have posted this on Overheard at Wheaton, a semi-anonymous blog with a self-explanatory title.
No comments:
Post a Comment