"Scattered wits take a long time picking up; and often, before I had got them well together, they would be dispersed in all directions by one stray thought."
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
On reading
A blog I follow had a link to these three posts on reading which I found thought provoking. I've never read like the author of this blog reads. Perhaps I should.
I hate this kind of stuff, and I'm not entirely sure why. Part of it is that I feel like they are telling me my reading is not good enough, but I think I also hate the approach. It feels like work and not like fun.
I also think that it's an unrealistic approach for a college student. Finding 15 hours per week to read is not the issue; the issue is being motivated to read more than is required, or to care about something besides getting the work done.
Also, confession: outside of class, I read for fun, not to learn. I seldom finish nonfiction books. I just don't have the attention span for them.
1 comment:
I hate this kind of stuff, and I'm not entirely sure why. Part of it is that I feel like they are telling me my reading is not good enough, but I think I also hate the approach. It feels like work and not like fun.
I also think that it's an unrealistic approach for a college student. Finding 15 hours per week to read is not the issue; the issue is being motivated to read more than is required, or to care about something besides getting the work done.
Also, confession: outside of class, I read for fun, not to learn. I seldom finish nonfiction books. I just don't have the attention span for them.
Post a Comment