This covenant, also referred to as a testament (hence, New Testament), promises salvation through the forgiveness of sins and all related blessings in this life and the next; but it also includes obligations for the recipients of the covenant to demonstrate their love and devotion to their covenant Lord. It is this union with God, this covenant that is sealed and secure through the sacrifice of Christ, that is at the heart of Christian worship.
This quote comes from Allen P. Ross's Recalling the Hope of Glory - Biblical Worship from the Garden to the New Creation. I'm reading it for my theology of worship class. If the introduction and the first two chapters are any indication, it is a fabulous book.
I love learning things. It makes me excited.
4 comments:
Carol, thank you! I didn't know that either. Not two days ago I was wondering why they were called testaments, and thinking about how they described the old and new covenants...and now I happen along your blog! I was just deleting old bookmarks that I never use, and discovered I had one called Carol's Blog. Who'da thunk it? So thanks! I'll have to start USING this bookmark! :)
hurrah!!!
yeah, that's really fascinating. brilliant. if i learned that in my ot nor nt classes, I forgot it.
you've been posting up a storm. fun times. i should follow suit.
Did you follow the thought that testament relates to inheritance as in "last will and testament". By faith we are heirs of the kingdom. The testator had to die for us to receive our inheritance. The condition to receive the inheritance is faith in Christ which makes us God's children and his heirs.
Post a Comment