I really don't need another grammar soap box, but this one does tempt me. In eighth grade, I took a rhetoric classes. I don't remember a whole lot of what I learned, but I do remember learning about different fallacies, in particular, the fallacy of begging the question, explained above.
For six years, I've wondered why people use the phrase "it begs the question" to mean "it raises the question", and if they are right to do so. Today I decided to look it up and discovered this very funny website devoted to the defending the proper use of the phrase. The common use of the phrase is incorrect. The founders of the website propound addressing the misuse in a loving, discrete way, such as handing the offender this little "beg the question" card. I quote, "Just remember: these cards are meant to discreetly inform them of BTQ abuse, but they are no substitute for candor and respect."
Why would anyone say grammar snobs are great, big meanies?
4 comments:
the cards are made even more tempting by the cardstock sitting next to me on my desk, which I bought on Saturday and of which I do not need the rest.
Grammar is a wonderful thing.
What REALLY bugs me:
Commas placed after a quotation mark, rather than inside, where it belongs.
The Brits do it my way. It makes more sense.
Know what this blog post has done? Made me acutely aware of the abuse. Now it annoys me.
You lose ten points for making me even more snobby than I already was.
Post a Comment