The day after Christmas, Radu took my dad out to look at new televisions. My parents purchased a television, with a wider screen than the last one. I never thought I'd see the day. The new television won't permanently pollute the living room, though. When not in use, it will slip behind the piano on a different cart that my father is now making. I find its dark, looming presence in the living room mildly unsettling. I'll be glad when it fits behind the piano.
I've never been one for watching tv much. There is too much that is vapid and inane. I don't like the way my eyes are drawn to the screen, or the way the flickering images reflect on the wall across from it. On the rare occasions that my mother will turn on the television to flip channels and see if there's anything good on I always feel uneasy, like something is wrong and I can't pinpoint what. I like the odd good program or show, but I suppose I can be grateful that I don't easily fall prey to that medium's "evil wiles" of which I sometimes hear spoken!
Soon the old television will be carried to the curb, picked up, and taken wherever they take old televisions. Some day I'll get to push the new tv cart onto the rug and watch a few hours of tennis or a movie on a clear, wide screen. Such opulence!
4 comments:
Vapid: excellent word! I do love the pic. I would like to do the same with my TV, but I do not think I would replace it. My TV will soon be obsolete as well, though it is not nearly as old as you are... I suppose I should get one of those converter thingy-s.
I know what you're trying to say: the new TV is way cool.
It's okay to say that.
Radu knows a lot about TVs, wiring cable, scrambled channels, etc.
alright, Ken. I'll just let it out. The new TV is, like, totally awesome.
Post a Comment