Thursday, August 21, 2008

Now That's Class

Four days from now I will be in Wheaton, and I will never see Clyde again.  While I was in Mexico, someone saw my dad driving Clyde and asked if he was willing to sell him.  This afternoon I drove to Frank's Foreign Auto to ask Frank how much we should ask for Clyde.  


Clyde may not seem so stylish - he has some rust, one tail light is permanently out, the front doors always fall shut, his odometer has read 172, 040 miles for over a year, the floor of the car has dog hairs that resist vacuuming, and the driver's seat is so sunken I need to sit on a pillow to see over the steering wheel.  But I think he's classy.  

Hearing about Telly again has brought back some memories.  I remember the first time I drove with Telly in Clyde.  Like most old, used volvos Clyde's glove compartment falls open unpredictably.  Telly was sitting on the floor in the front like a good Seeing Eye puppy when it fell open on top of her.  She startled so badly that she leaped between the front two seats into the back.  It was months before she was even willing to consider riding in the front again.    She used to lie in the back with her head resting on the console.  Sometimes she would nuzzle me to remind me of her faithful presence.  

Frank doesn't think Clyde is worth as much as I do.  
These last few days with Clyde are precious.  
It will be a sorrowful parting.  

No comments: