"Scattered wits take a long time picking up; and often, before I had got them well together, they would be dispersed in all directions by one stray thought."
Monday, May 12, 2008
The Writing Life
Because of Kate's influence, I just read Annie Dillard's The Writing Life. This quote particularly impressed me.
I do not so much write a book as sit up with it, as with a dying friend. During visiting hours, I enter its room with dread and sympathy for its many disorders. I hold its hand and hope it will get better.
1 comment:
Anonymous
said...
Hi Carol,
Doesn't that seem a little depressing? It would have been nicer for her to say something like, "I do not so much write a book as sit up with it, as with a friend about to have her first child...seeking to encourage others by my words as I do a friend about to experience one of the greatest joys in life." The glass is half full, isn't it?
1 comment:
Hi Carol,
Doesn't that seem a little depressing? It would have been nicer for her to say something like, "I do not so much write a book as sit up with it, as with a friend about to have her first child...seeking to encourage others by my words as I do a friend about to experience one of the greatest joys in life." The glass is half full, isn't it?
Hope you are enjoying your summer!
H
Post a Comment