Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Perry Mastodon Parade

On Thursday, Wheaton's beloved Perry Mastodon was moved from his resting place in Armerding to his home in brand new science center. Like all good Wheaties and a many children in the neighborhood, I have warm feelings in my heart for this large, dead mammal.

Since I saw this article on Wheaton's website, I was looking forward to the parade for Perry all week. Perhaps this is because I lead a boring life, but I'd prefer to think I take joy in little things.

This was happening during my lunch break. I ate on the quad and watched.

And here's a view of Perry's bonier side.

The website said "visitors of all ages may also enjoy these downloadable crafts," and I took that to heart. I am holding a mask, which is probably not immediately identifiable as such. The white things are his tusks and the orange thing that looks like a tie is actually his trunk. I convinced Betsy, my supervisor last year, to give me a balloon.

This tough looking guy is my boss, Fred. He is great. He and his Harley Davidson buddies, "The Black Sheep," led off the parade.


My hermeneutics prof, Dr Green, played the bagpipes.

Wheaton student and Olympian Nancy Swider-Peltz roller bladed in the parade with her dad while her mom, also an olympian, followed on a unicycle.

Just a shout-out to Wheaton's Arcives and Special Collections.

I never imagined I'd see Perry in front of Williston Hall.

Visitors are not allowed near to the new science center yet. Perhaps come September I'll post a picture of Perry in his new home. Perry, I believe, will be directly below a new Foucault pendulum, this year's senior class gift. The pendulum is to be named after Dr. Litfin. I find this wonderfully ironic considering how often Dr. Litfin warns students against pendulum-like swings with regard to social justice and gospel proclamation and suchlike.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I watched the video of this on the website, and I was really sad I missed it. I'm also sad that Armerding is being abandoned. I love that building.

Jim and Julianna said...

Love it!! Wow, what a hilarious and interesting parade. (Way to go, Wheaton, for making the moving of Perry a community event. He deserves it.) So did you then get a free Bon Appetit cookie afterwards??

Kaitebon said...

I love quirky college stuff.

Prumber forever!