Hansen writes in an easy, conversational style. The book reads like a very long magazine article which isn't particularly surprising since he is editor-at-large for Christianity Today. I found this a little wearing in a hundred-fifty page book, but I might be alone in this complaint.
Here's a short review, and here's an article in Christianity Today by the author of the book. I think he mentions most of the topics covered in the book. I didn't bother to read the whole article.
The book mentioned briefly the influence of the blogosphere. One leading Reformed blogger, Tim Challies, writes, "If you look at the Christian blogosphere, most of the well-known and highly regarded blogs are Reformed. The Reformed blogs tend to center around theology. They are more of a teaching tool than a talking tool." I am now one of the thousands of people who follow his blog. I follow some other as well. This post from John Piper's blog brought a smile, and I often enjoy his son Abraham Piper's blog (which thus far seems to be of a slightly less intensely theological bent). A few days ago there was this post entitled "Three words I use that most other people I talk with don't" with an invitation for readers to share their favorite unusual words. What a gold mine of new words! I have yet to sift through all the comments (some are but dross) for the true gems. Some will soon be showing up in my "cool new vocab words" list, I'm sure.
Incidentally, this past Saturday was the two year anniversary of Scattered Wits (formerly called Ramblings.) This is the 208th post. Thank you again, Kate. You told me it would be fun, so I had nothing to do but believe you and follow your leading.
2 comments:
Carol,
I always knew you were Reformed, but now the young & restless part might be creeping in as well: this post marked not only the 2 year anniversary of your blog, but the 1st time in my knowledge you've used the phrase "pretty cool" to express yourself. Imagine my surprise when, at the end of your post, you used the same adjective to describe your word list (which I admit is, indeed, cool).
Hey, maybe the new word "cool" could be added to the list!
(BTW, I wish this were a post instead of a comment. I'd entitle it "The New Cool." But alas.)
Oh, alas, Ken, I am chagrined. To think that I am now a college student studying English and my standards have yet fallen. In my defense, my second use of "cool" is an allusion to the title of my vocab list page element. I'm sure you appreciate the irony of using "cool" as a descriptive word in that context.
Post a Comment