In the train station, I borrowed the cell phone of another Wheaton student to call Ashley and get the address of the her hotel. (Incidentally, this Wheaton student is a conservie who is singing for the Lyric Opera this semester in Porgy and Bess. He had two more shows before break.) It was a beautiful, clear today so I didn't at all mind the 12-15 block walk to her hotel on North Michigan Avenue.
The four of us enjoyed an extravagant lunch together at the Grand Lux and a few hours together. I took these pictures of the Chicago skyline on my walk to the L which I took to Midway Airport. Is there anything more touristy than taking pictures of the skyline while wearing a backpack and pulling a suitcase?





I got to the airport in time to stand in lots of long lines and fly standby on an earlier flight to Baltimore that ended up being delayed until about the time my original flight was to take off. I don't understand why they delayed it since the weather wasn't bad yet. Waiting is only going to make conditions worse I would think. Radu picked me up and got to their house a quarter hour before my parents arrived from NJ. Hugs, food, hot tub, and bed. Life is good.
Ashley is getting married this summer. We spent Dec. 19 together - exactly six months from that date I'll see her again, a few days before the wedding!
Some day I'd like to walk across that.
There were giant chunks of ice in the river, fitting together almost like a mosaic.
3 comments:
Carol - Real nice skyline pics! I want to cross that bridge, too.
I've gotten quite behind on reading your blog, I'm sorry to say, but those pictures of Chicago are quite spectacular, and I am so very glad you got to meet up with Ashley! Hope your Christmas was good.
Really neat photos of the windy city, enjoyed by one who lived close by for many years but seldom got there to just ramble with a camera.
uncle scott
Post a Comment