Saturday, October 4, 2008

Psalm 90:17

On Thursday I learned that Telly has graduated and is working with a blind woman in Massachusetts! It had been nearly seven weeks since I heard at Family Day that I should be learning within a couple weeks of her graduation - long enough to have another nightmare about her rejection. Apparently the instructor I talked to in August was mistaken, or that match didn't end up working out. I guess I'll never know, but it doesn't matter. What matters is that she is now the eyes of a blind woman in Boston!

Here are the letters and a picture of Telly in harness. The first is a form letter, the second from her instructor.


Dear Carol,

I am happy to inform you that Telly has completed her training at The Seeing Eye. She has had many hours of instruction to become a dog guide and I know how proud you are of her.

A month prior to leaving The Seeing Eye, Telly was placed with a 58 year old woman from Massachusetts, who is self-employed. Telly is her second dog guide from The Seeing Eye and I know she will succeed in the challenging life ahead as a working guide and companion for her new owner.

Enclosed is a picture of Telly in harness taken at The Seeing Eye. I know that you will be delighted to have the snapshot as a memento of the time you shared together.

On behalf of all of us at the Seeing Eye, I want to thank you for raising Telly. Your role in The Seeing Eye Puppy Raising Program is essential to the success of our school, and the patience, love and devotion that you provided established the background upon which her skills as a dog guide were built.

Again, we thank you for the outstanding job that you have done in preparing Telly for a career as a dog guide. Through your work with her, you have brought independence, mobility, and joy into another blind person's life.

Sincerely,
Douglas S. Roberts
Director of Programs


Dear Carol,

I am very proud to inform you that Telly has been placed with a woman in Boston. Telly's new owner is retired, but still lives a very active lifestyle with her family, and within her community. She is thrilled with Telly and her guide work.

Telly was an absolute pleasure to train. She was always eager and willing to work and learn. She understood the importance of the work, which she went about in her own cautious and caring way. I greatly appreciated both her sensitive and gentle nature, and the trust she showed me. Telly was always up for whatever the daily challenge may have been in training. I enjoyed every day with this special girl.

I would like to thank you and your family for all of the time and love you dedicated to raising Telly. You should be extremely proud of your efforts and of Telly. She has worked very hard to become a great Seeing Eye Dog.

Sincerely,
Brian McKenna

5 comments:

Ken said...

Carol,

Glad you took time to listen to the "fiasco" series on This American Life.

I saw that you forgot you had a blog until recently... my theory: facebook!

Ken

Danielle said...

=D

She's gorgeous. And helping someone lead a more normal life. Nice work.

kate said...

wow. this is monumental.

and that was such a fabulous letter. i have tears in my eyes.

mary said...

me too! this was so wonderful to read!

CP said...

i've been a little neglectful in my blog reading as well, but hooray!!!