Monday, December 3, 2007

A special day

This past Saturday was my nineteenth birthday. Birthdays make me so happy. I start thinking about all the people I love and the ones who love me and all that has been good in my life, and I become very joyful. I wish I thought like that every day. Attitude makes such a difference. Why is it such a struggle other days of the year? On Saturday I was counting my blessings; today I'm tired and grouchy as I fight off another cold, I'm afraid, and worried and frustrated after practicing for aural skills several hours, probably to no avail.

Every year, despite my better intentions, I get so excited about my birthday that I tell people weeks, or even months, in advance. So funny, that I should read this post by my more mature friend in Mexico on December first. But I think we love birthdays for the same reason.

My friends helped make my birthday a special day for me. Jeremy hooked up an answering machine to take all the calls I missed. Liz and Katelynn surprised me with a room decorated with balloons and streamers, breakfast in bed, a giant card signed by lots of friends, and the extension set to Settlers of Catan. I spent the morning practicing at the conservatory and then was thrilled to open the door and see snow coming down! Liz and I braved the elements and spent several hours in downtown Wheaton. Supper was off campus with friends and the evening finished with a game of Settlers in the lobby. In short, it was a wonderful day. And I didn't have to eat at Saga all weekend!

Two more weeks of classes, a few days of exams and I'm done with the semester! I'll be ready. Especially for aural skills to be finished. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you like a new word for your list. I had to look it up. It does not describe you. The word is glomless.

Carol said...

Thanks! I couldn't find glomless but I came across gormless and I've added it. Was that a typo or is glomless a word too? Very cool word!