It's glorious to have free time. To not have to worry about practicing, or studying, or waking up for class is a measure of earthly bliss. Of course much of the reason it's so wonderful is that most of the time I do have responsibilities. I should be rather useless if I didn't, but there is a time for rest. Christmas break is all the better for the work done during the fall semester; I'll be all the stronger for the spring semester after relaxing during Christmas break, I think.
Furthermore, I shall be all the more grateful for Wheaton's "resnet" after suffering the maddening slowness of firefox with the internet connection at home. This should speak volumes to any Wheaton students. (Hey, I just learned something cool: "Internet" is supposed to be capitalized. I wonder how much longer that rule will last. I don't feel compelled to follow it.)
I've been reading voraciously since I got home from Wheaton. I didn't realize how starved for pleasure reading I had become. I just don't seem to have the time during the semester. There's always some task more pressing. Hence my "recently read" has turned to "not so recently read, mostly". I wonder if next semester I can make an effort to always be reading a book for fun, not matter how slowly I get through it. It would take a lot of self control. I get easily engrossed.
I can't say that I've been reading particularly high literature, though I do plan on reading the Fellowship of the Ring sometime during break, eventually. First I feel like taking the edge off my appetite with lighter fare. I'm reading hors d'oeuvres, if you will. Anyway, what I have read has given me an abundance of new vocab words, most thanks to Alexander McCall Smith, a few to Dorothy Sayers. (Lord Peter Whimsy is a new favorite of mine.) Check out the sidebar.
Would that my Scattered Wits may at times be lambent!
1 comment:
Alas, I fear they may instead be merely jejune.
Post a Comment