Saturday, June 29, 2013

Not so seasonal

It was hard, but today I threw out our poinsettia from Christmastime.


I don't think this picture does justice to how depressing its appearance had become. It went strong for several months, and then the leaves started to fall. The green growth had me excited for a while, but as leaf after leaf dropped to the ground, the plant began to look more and more pitiable. It's in the dumpster now, and I'm trying not to be too bothered by the thought of the little bits of new growth now destined to die.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I too empathize with plants. When we repotted our Aloe Vera, we had to throw away a bunch of extra sprouts. I felt so bad for letting them down. :(

Elizabeth and Milan said...

OOOHH. Pull it back out, if it's not too late. Well, maybe it's too late, but a lady in our church is a lover of these plants and she told me what to do with them. (I'd never had one before; the leaves are poisonous.) Come April, you cut in severely back, so there are just one or two nodes on each stem. And within a few weeks it grows back lush and full. I have to pretty ones on my windowsill now. Perhaps I might even succeed in getting the leaves to turn red for Christmas.