Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Celebrating spring

In New Jersey, around this time of May we'd always go to the Presby Memorial Iris Gardens in Upper Montclair to see the hundreds of iris varieties there. It's been a cold spring and Wheaton seems to be a couple weeks behind West Orange as I haven't seen an irises yet.

Last week the lilacs were at peak so Tim and I had a quick dinner (I'm not above Trader Joe's frozen pizzas in these instances) and drove to Lombard to visit Lilacia Park. Everywhere we walked the air was sweet with the scent of lilacs. Even as sun was setting it was just warm enough to sit on a bench together and read a little bit.



I've been dreaming about ripe tomatoes for several months, I think, and reading up about how it is possible to grow tomatoes in pots if you have enough sun and water. Every day I am thankful for our apartment's southern exposure, so I am hopeful that the walkway right outside our door will do for us. This past Saturday, while Tim prepped the Sunday School lesson he taught the next morning, I went to a garden center and wandered, very overwhelmed, among the rows of annuals and vegetables and herbs and pots and supplies. I think I was there for hours. I'm really not sure what would have happened if my friend Amy hadn't come to join me and help me make some decisions. I came home for a late tea (by four a clock I found myself much more able to make quick decisions!) and got my plants into pots before supper. 




I took this picture right after I'd finished, and I think it's lovely, but the flowers look even better now since they've perked up considerably. The herb pot has basil, oregano, mint (I've been warned it spreads), and coriander seeds a quarter inch under the soil. And since the picture was taken I've added a small pot of lettuce that Amy gave me and an impatiens from Tim's boss. We may also be getting a cherry tomato plant.  

In other seasonal news, my poinsettia plant is looking a bit thin, but sprouting a bunch of spring green leaves, so I can't bear to throw it out. 

No comments: