Sunday, October 4, 2009

Reflection

This year thirteen people left the College Group to do missions related work overseas. I know all of them; some of them are dear friends. Right now, for some reason, I'm missing them especially much. I'm struggling to find words to express it, but I think part of missing someone, a part I hadn't much reflected on before, is missing being easily understood. Sometimes, perhaps selfishly, more than missing the people I know, I miss being known.

So I'm thankful that I'm still here at Wheaton - thankful that though friends have left, there are still people who know me and whom I know, people with whom I have shared experiences and values. I'm thankful that I'm not always lonely and misunderstood.

But it's okay to miss friends sometimes.

7 comments:

CP said...

Total agreement here on that whole being known thing.

Emily said...

"I'm struggling to find words to express it, but I think part of missing someone, a part I hadn't much reflected on before, is missing being easily understood. Sometimes, perhaps selfishly, more than missing the people I know, I miss being known."

Omg yes. Exactly.

And, it is okay. Being sad's not always a sin.

Emailing you a quote that's helped me right now.

Love you sweet girl :-)

Danielle said...

How do you manage to put so well into words what I so often think??? Maybe cause you're brilliant.

Kaitebon said...

so...this is a terrible thing to leave as a comment on your beautiful post.

but I think it's "rapprochement"

Sorry, I can't help myself.

:-)

-Kaitlyn

Carol said...

thanks, all.

Anonymous said...

Just because someone's far away, doesn't mean they don't care about you.

And also, Jesus knows you better than your friends do :)

-Jason

Laura said...

"I think part of missing someone, a part I hadn't much reflected on before, is missing being easily understood" umm, you are such a brilliant writer that I remembered this almost a year later... because I am really feeling it :( Hope you're doing well!