Monday, July 13, 2009

Que lastima pero adios, otra vez

One of the most marvelous things about life here in Wheaton, IL has been the friends that I have made. I'm sure most everyone says that about their college years, but I think I have a deeper appreciation of what a blessing this is because of how different it is from my years at TCS (wonderful, though they were.) It is such a delightful thing to have friends who live down the hall, or a short walk across campus, rather than twelve to fifteen miles away.
There were times of loneliness growing up, but I certainly don't think of my childhood as being dominated by them. Puppies helped.

God has blessed me by bringing some particularly special friends into my life for certain periods of time. They've always been beautiful, godly women approximately five and a half years older than myself, give or take a few months. Doesn't it seem too improbable to be coincidental? These friends were nearby for serious, thoughtful conversations, and for lighthearted, every-day ones; for fun outings, and for projects and activities; for whatever's on our minds and hearts, and where our whimsy leads us. Judith was the first such friend, my freshman year of high school. I still remember when a woman in the church told me that she was so glad God had brought Judith to Covenant - she had been praying for a friend for me. Judith went back to Germany, and perhaps that woman kept praying because last summer in Mexico I had Ashley.

Megan, my small group leader for the past two years, has been that particular friend to me most recently. She's moved away and I miss her. We had some fun activities her last weekend in town - a bike ride to Glen Ellyn and a leisurely coffee date to which be both brought (without the other's knowing) Winnie the Pooh to read aloud together. We ate wild raspberries and watched a little league game on the ride back. I can't think of another friend who could make me think it a good idea to then go out and play catch. And it was.

No comments: