Saturday, February 16, 2008

Good news

My sixth Seeing Eye puppy, Telly, returned to the Seeing Eye for her formal training in October. I rejoiced a couple months ago to learn that she had passed her health examinations and was assigned to an instructor. Thursday night I had a nightmare that I called home and learned that Telly was rejected for guide dog work. It was all too real. The next afternoon I was overjoyed to find this postcard, enclosed in a Valentine:

Dear Puppy Raiser:
Having a wonderful time learning to become a Seeing Eye Dog! Brian has been training me for about 2 months, and he is very pleased with my progress. I aced my midterm exam last week (that's a blind fold exam, I might add!) and am taking everything in stride. Escalators and loud traffic are a little intimidating, but I'm getting more confident ever day. Hope all is well!
Love, your puppy: Telly and Brian

I honestly don't think as much about Telly being in training as I expected to. It's easy to put it in the back of my mind since I'm at Wheaton and don't have all the visual reminders of her. Digby and Patton keep me from pining. This postcard renewed my latent hope. It's wonderful to have this encouragement, but I fear because, "Hope deferred makes the heart sick." (Proverbs 13:12) I've been heartsick too often.

Here's that beautiful dog. I hope I can be home for her town walk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! That's exciting!!!!!! Maybe this time will be that charm... she's gorgeous. I love germies.