It's been very cold recently but we've had precious little snow. Not so much as a delayed opening yet this year. Tragic. However we have had some light dustings of snow. On a couple occasions it was enough to get my feet very cold as I cleared the snow of Clyde before driving to school. On both of those days there was far much more school in West Orange than in Montville. That reminded me of elementary school days. We used to come to school and brag about how many inches of snow there was at our house. I think our social status in the class was determined by the meteorological conditions where we lived. I never faired to well because my classmates all lived a little farther north. Either that or they exaggerated even more than I did.
Sadly for me this year that social status is no longer determined by the amount of snow you have. But remembering that got me wondering, is there a similar, bizarre method of establishing social position in highschool? (And also, why do we care? But I guess that's a different question entirely.) Here's my theory: In high school, or at least at Trinity, social status is determined by how little sleep you get, or perhaps more explicitly, how little sleep you say you get. I think this is even more tragic than our not having gotten much snow yet this year. But I really think there is some truth in it. I don't think there was a day this past week that I managed to unpack my backpack in the morning without hearing someone talk about how late they were up and how tired they were. Busy as we all are I think there is no excuse for getting only three or four hours of sleep each night. And absolutely no excuse for complaining about it the next day. Perhaps if I were more cool I'd understand it. Perhaps I should defend this theory a little stronger - there definitely is more that could be said - but now is not the time. I'm going to bed.
7 comments:
That sounded a little preachy, didn't it?
Carol,
I like the classic wrap around ending.
Pastor Ken
Dearest Carol,
Thank you for your post on social standing. As you know, I am a careful observer of this particluar area of study, so I was pleased to find that others are pursing same at a much younger age (I am 98). Now, I would like to hear your conclusions on the matter. Who is of a higher social class, those with little sleep or those with much? It has always been my opinion that those who do not discuss their sleep habits, snow mounds, or any other personal information at all, for that matter, especially when unsolicited, are the ones peering down from the top strata. Wouldn't you agree? Those who advertise such matters are trying to make a place for themselves in society, seeking approval as it were, when the ones who are more mysterious about their habits are usually more secure in their class/caste position, and I must say, such positions are usually in the upper realms.
Press on, dear. Know that those complainers among you forget that they are marketing themselves to a wider audience. Let's see who buys...
Until next time...
HF
i don't think it sounded preachy. i think it sounded interesting and provocative. keep writing.
i dare say that the reverse-bragging doesn't stop after high school. it's good to be able to be aware of it for what it really is. but then, usually when we observe it in others we fall into the trap 1. of pride that we don't do it (when often we notice it because it is the very thing that we do) 2. of looking down at others, marring our relationship with them. well, that's my preachiness, i suppose. =) love, k
Thanks for those thoughts. It's a little scary saying something provocative or debatable. What if I say something outrageous (though it seems reasonable at the time) and change my mind later on? It will already be written and read. There's the danger of blogging, I suppose. All the more reason to say little and think carefully about it. I shall attempt.
I can't claim to have perfectly sorted this whole theory out in my mind. And I'll admit to being guilty of the crime I accused others of - I have at times complained almost as much, though I usually have had more sleep.
Thanks for your comment Ms. Fillmore (how might I properly address you?) I think I agree that those who don't volunteer such personal information are of the upper crust. Which of course means that I am not a member of the "highest social class". This is okay. I am 18.
In another sense, I suppose, social standing is rather relative. In highschool,those who get 3 hours of sleep and brag about it are of the highest social strata. This wasn't true in elementary school. Thinking a little more, I guess realy the amount of sleep they get is just evidence of their perceived social standing, not the basis for it. The basis for it is how many friends they have. (I hesitated with that last sentence as exceptions spring to mind) Here's my reasoning anyway. No highschooler can blame getting only three hours of sleep on too much homework. Plenty of other people have as much work and get more sleep. They get that much sleep because they spend several hours talking with friends on their cell phones - preferably counceling them in some intense, distressing relationship problem.
Those are my observations and opinions. If I say more I risk being more judgmental. I'm a sleep deprived highschooler too and many of these students, of whatever perceived social standing, are my friends and companions.
Dearest Carol,
You may call me Mrs. Fillmore. Please read my post regarding the egregious use of "Ms." in any context. It is just filthy language in my book.
I say, do not worry about the amount of sleep or phone conversations others have (or claim to). It is much better to be secure with oneself than to have a costly phone bill, and that goes for any class level. Just because one has wealth does not mean he should squander it.
Get some sleep, dear--but don't tell anyone that you did.
Until next time...
HF
Carol - thought-provoking, thanks! I have been thinking about these issues, too, as they apply to the 20s, and how we use criteria of social standing to apply pressure to each other or set behavioral standards or what is 'normal' or 'desired.' (Questions to consider: are you married? do you have a house? do you have a career set out? do you live near your family? do you have kids? if no kids, why not? do you have two cars? and on it goes). The criteria for social standing fluctuate and develop over the years, depending on the stage of life (though 'stage' is also hard to define). So document high school while you still can! Then on to college, then the 20s ... I'll be interested to read your posts next year. Keep it up!
Post a Comment