I've been meaning to post for a while on the college question. I'm not exactly sure what has been delaying me. It's definitely something "happening in my life" and something "I've been thinking about".
I visited Covenant College in January to compete for the Maclellan scholarship. Even though I have been very enthuastic about Wheaton, I think I went there with an open mind, willing to like it and imagine myself there. I got a feel for the college, administration, student body; visited lots of classes; ran unexpectedly into an old friend from elementary school that I hadn't seen or spoken to in years; and hung out with Kate and her friends that weekend. So it was a good visit, but I found that I really didn't like Covenant as much as Wheaton. It felt too small and rather isolated, alone on the top of Lookout Mountain. Most students, though kind and helpful, didn't seem as motivated or enthusiastic. But I'm certainly don't feel completely negative about Covenant. There are some things about Covenant that I prefer over Wheaton. I think the visit has helped keep me from idealizing Wheaton.
I was quite relieved to learn that I did not get Covenant's Maclellan scholarship. That would have made for a difficult decision. A few days after I got that news, I mailed a deposit to Wheaton College!
I had kind of expected to feel a lot of relief after making the final decision. But I don't really, though I'm not entirely sure why not. Perhaps it's the uncertainty of the future. Perhaps it's too much concern about what other people think of my decision. Some people don't approve of Christian colleges. Some people don't approve of Wheaton College. Some people don't approve of spending that much money on college. Most of my classmates already have full rides. I probably could too if I wanted to go to Rutgers. Perhaps I am wrong.
And then there is the looming question of what to study at Wheaton. I'm seriously considering music education. I'm practicing the piano a lot and preparing for an audition. I love music. But I love English too. It would be hard to give up a liberal arts education and the great English department at Wheaton.
So those are some of my current thoughts. Further bulletins as events warrant.
4 comments:
re: tog post: I would suggest that you do have plenty of time to choose a major. I bet a majority of people aren't sure what they will student upon entering college, and to have it narrowed to two is pretty good. I'm sure there are plenty of core courses (as there were at Cov.) to keep you busy your first semester(s) as you decided. Take one or two in your hopeful majors, but any more than that can mess you up if you change your mind.
Thank you for that advice, o-wise-sister. (which one are you by the way? My guess is Mary but I'm not sure.) I guess I have a little more time than I thought I had. It's easy to get a little overwhelmed. Music education is such a demanding major, and it's in the conservatory. . .
Carol, CONGRATULATIONS!! This is wonderful news! Congrats on making a decision, and I hope you will have increasing momentum and confidence toward this direction in the upcoming months.
I agree about the major - yes, if you go into education, you do need to decide pretty early on, but there is flexibility the first year to year-and-a-half. I suggest you take a mixture of gen eds, then 1-2 intro courses for music, English, and education majors, and then decide more firmly sophomore year. It's an awesome time in life!!
Double major?
o-wise-anonymous-college-advice-giver-in-the-woods
Post a Comment