Sunday, October 30, 2011

Baking Success

The week before last I had a hankering for gingerbread. I haven't seen molasses in the grocery store, so I had a friend order me a bottle of molasses off of "taobao," which is sort of like a Chinese ebay, except it's always "buy now."  You can get almost anything.  A few weeks earlier, I had bought a camera bag that I love for a good price, and it wasn't even knock off.  It arrived the day after I ordered it. The molasses didn't arrive until the beginning of last week, so I made the gingerbread this weekend.

My confidence in baking with our toaster oven ebbs and flows.  I made the Whole Wheaton Banana and Dark Chocolate Muffins again, which turned out quite well, but I don't think the beer bread I made last weekend was very nice.  However, my gingerbread tasted very nice if I may say so humbly.  I used this Favorite Old Fashioned Gingerbread recipe, but followed the advice of some of the comments and doubled the spices, added 1/2 cup of applesauce, and baked it for 45 minutes instead of an hour.  It was very flavorful and pleasantly moist.  I made one batch Saturday night, and another Sunday morning, but I realized that the recipe calls for a cup of molasses, and the bottle only held about 1 2/3 cup.  For the second batch, I substituted a bit of brown sugar and honey for the missing molasses and tripled the spices because I was worried the extra sugar would make it too sweet.  I think I didn't bake it quite long enough, and tripling the spices might have been unnecessary, but it was still good.  There was some left over from this morning, so I'm excited about tomorrow's breakfast and tea time.

2 comments:

mother said...

I took what you wrote about banana muffins at face value, but when I followed the link to the recipe it didn't say anything about Wheaton.

Carol said...

That's a telling typo. I'll leave it for posterity.