Saturday, October 23, 2010

Labor Day and Today

Ages and ages ago I went to the Warren Dunes in Sawyer, Michigan with some friends on Labor Day. Looking at this pictures is making me feel a little wistful. I'd like to be sitting on the sand right now, listening to the quiet lap of the water.

We drove up early afternoon, walked along the beach a short ways until we found a deserted dune and settled there. We braved the water, tossed around a frisbee, and romped on the dune. My friend Amy had brought with her a tiny charcoal grill for cooking some bratwurst, so we were well fed too.

I spoke much of the reading I had to do, and did very little of it. I might have made it through four pages of Congreve's "The Way of the World" on the beach, an act or two more in the car by aid of a headlamp. No regrets.




This is my roommate, Robin. She is very cool.

This semester I had a particularly hard time buckling down to do work on weekends, or weekdays for that matter. It was far too appealing to play ultimate, mosey around the farmer's market, walk a dog. . . I've gotten better (or worse?). Saturdays have been full of homework (with scarcely time to blog, evidently). And it's been far too long since walked a dog.

Today reminded me a bit of those first few guiltily pleasurable weekends. Except this time without the guilt (except that I should probably be sleeping now). I slept in a tad, did some reading, visited the French Market with a friend to buy coffee and a freshly made hot donut, read a bit more, lunched, played Ultimate, and read a bit more before dinner and afterwards. Written down, this sounds rather tame. I'm almost tempted to delete it, but I'd rather bask in the extraordinary truth that I finished all my reading for Tuesday and had some fun too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Carol. Do you know how much your verbal/written musing are enjoyed? You are a whiz with words...charming, interesting, fresh, insightful. Thanks for keep in contact with your family via your blog. Love ya.
Mary from Gettysburg