Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I shouldn't complain, but . . .

Today I got a New Testament exam back on which I received a better grade than I deserved. I benefited from the misfortune - or perhaps more accurately, negligence - of my classmates in a big way. I grant that the test was hard - even harder than I had expected - but I'm still flummoxed at how badly people did. Dr. Perrin dropped five questions that most people got wrong, gave extra credit points if you got them right, and curved the exam by seven points all around (which, I guess, isn't a curve, strictly speaking). All that would have given me 20 extra points, except that he capped it at 100, of course. And some people still failed. I feel oddly guilty.

Any teachers (or others) have thoughts on this?

4 comments:

Carol said...

my math seems a little screwy, but with the extra points from dropped questions being on the part of the exam that is worth 75% of the grade, I think my calculation is right. (to those of you math majors who would question me)

Jason said...

Nothing to feel guilty about; rather, we should feel concerned that so many people at wheaton college know so little about the new testament.

CP said...

No, don't feel guilty- I drop questions regularly if most kids get them wrong- I figure that means I didn't teach it very well. I don't give EC for those that get it right though.

kate said...

i like how you gently imply that you got a 100%. nice. feel good about it. smile broadly. I'm smiling broadly.