Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Small things are important.

Birmingham, England's council voted to drop apostrophes from street signs, deeming them "confusing and old-fashioned." They were tired of discussing apostrophes in their council meetings. If you think you can stand it, read more about the catastrophe for the apostrophe in Britain.

I find this news so distressing that I don't even know how to begin to comment on it. I'll leave you with these words from my friend Warren's observation: "The greatest horror is how absolutely dismissive they are about the apostrophe. 'We have more important things to do...' I doubt it."

2 comments:

Sarah said...

This makes me weep.

Although, if asked to give a reasoned defense of the apostrophe, I doubt that I could. I just think they're important.

Anonymous said...

I could hardly disagree more, though one might [feebly] argue that at least the B. council is being consistent.

On an equally disturbing note are the countless people who continue to be confused re. the apostrophe's correct useage. You probably know who I mean. Their the one's who insert apostrophe's at a moments notice or whim - or not. Youd think th'eyd never retained anything from the lessons in the good old school day's. Perhaps we should put the B.C. onto folk's like that.