Monday, March 3, 2008

Discovery

I am an explorer. Most of you might not know this about me, but I do explore regions of Illinois unknown to most of my contemporaries. I and my trusty canine companion traverse miles of suburban Wheaton on foot daily.

On this date, March 3, 2008, I discovered a hill. Blanchard Street is a legitimate incline. I'm not referring to the gentle sloping lawn in front of Blanchard Hall, but to a street on the south side of the tracks. Yes, I do even venture to that part of town. Blanchard Street may, in fact, be almost as steep as Ashwood Terrace. There was a Miner rejoicing. My rigorous ascent was checked only by a brief pause to clean up after Patton. Apparently he did not appreciate the loftiness of the occasion.

Furthermore, and perhaps more importantly, I sighted indicators of the coming of spring. I saw a tree with green buds. I even ventured onto a private driveway for closer inspection. Around the tree were birds chirping. Spring is in the air. In a few weeks there may be a Miner majorly rejoicing.

No comments: