Monday, August 13, 2007

Musical Celebration

I finally completed my application for Wheaton College's Conservatory of Music! The hour is late, but I thought it a fitting time for a celebratory blog post.

On Saturday Walt Morris recorded, via MP3 recorder and video camera, my audition - a whole bunch of scales and arpeggios, Bach's Invention No. 14, Mozart's Sonata K. 309, and Kabalevsky's Sonatina Op. 13 No. 1, the first movement. It was a lot of music learned through many hours, weeks, months of practice.

I'm quite pleased with the recording. Mr. Berdos said the ajudicators would be listening for both a forest and trees. Some of my trees fell down, but the forest is still there, I think. That's what's important. I feel very much at peace about it all.

Today I wrote an essay on why I want to be a music ed major, and typed up a repertoire list. And just now I stuffed music profile, essay, list, recommendation letters, and the DVD into an addressed envelope. Ah.

Here's the exciting bit. If you would like you can listen to my audition at this web address:
http://home.comcast.net/~wsmorris/c_miner.html

Happy listening!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice, even to the untrained ear ;-)

Please share with the rest of the world why you wish to be a music teacher.

Carol said...

I love music. Because the past six years of piano lessons (especially the last three) music has become an increasingly important part of my life. I'm passionate about music, eager to learn, and eager to use my skills. My teacher was hugely influential in my developing these interests. He's my example. I want to teach so I can share my passion of music with students as he did with me. And I've had a couple piano students for about a year and a half and found it very enjoyable, challenging, and rewarding.